The Rome Police Department is an Internationally Accredited Agency through CALEA (Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc.). Rome Police Department earned this distinction in 1986 when it became the second agency in Georgia to be nationally accredited by CALEA. After receiving the initial accreditation, the agency undergoes an extensive “on-site” assessment every three years to ensure compliance with the applicable standards set forth by CALEA. Rome Police Department has successfully obtained re-accreditation 10 times.
CALEA offers a body of standards to establish up-to-date, best practice recommendations for the delivery of law enforcement services. The standards upon which the Law Enforcement Accreditation Program is based reflect the current thinking and experience of law enforcement practitioners and researchers. Major Law Enforcement Associations, leading educational and training institutions, governmental agencies, as well as law enforcement executives internationally, acknowledge CALEA’s and its Accreditation Programs as benchmarks for professional law enforcement agencies.
- CALEA Accreditation requires an agency to develop a comprehensive, well thought out, uniform set of written directives. This is one of the most successful methods for reaching administrative and operational goals, while also providing direction to personnel.
- CALEA Accreditation standards provide the necessary reports and analyses a CEO needs to make fact-based, informed management decisions.
- CALEA Accreditation requires a preparedness programbe put in place—so an agency is ready to address natural or man-made unusual occurrences.
- CALEA Accreditation is a means for developing or improving upon an agency’s relationship with the community.
- CALEA Accreditation strengthens an agency’s accountability, both within the agency and the community, through a continuum of standards that clearly define authority, performance, and responsibilities.
- Being CALEA Accredited can limit an agency’s liability and risk exposurebecause it demonstrates that internationally recognized standards for law enforcement have been met, as verified by a team of independent outside CALEA-trained assessors.
- CALEA Accreditation facilitates an agency’s pursuit of professional excellence.
If you would like more information, please contact Stephanie Hill-Hudson, Accreditation Manager at
(706) 238-5156 or firstname.lastname@example.org.