Governments of Floyd County and City of Rome, GA


Building Inspection

  For any questions, please call one of the contact numbers at the bottom of the page.

The Rome-Floyd Building Inspection Department is responsible for the review, permitting, and inspection of all construction projects within the City of Rome and Floyd County. The department also enforces regulations pertaining to nuisance abatement, zoning compliance, historic preservation, land disturbance permits, sediment and erosion control and floodplain management.


Small Wireless Facilities & Antennas

Application for Small Wireless Facilities & Antennas
Small Wireless Facilities & Antennas Application Flow Chart
City of Rome Code for Small Wireless Facilities & Antennas

What are the Codes and Design Criteria for Rome/Floyd County?

The following criteria are required for development in Rome/Floyd County:

  • 2018 International Building, Residential, Mechanical, Fuel Gas, Plumbing, 2015 Energy Code, and 2020 National Electrical Code.
  • City/County codes, except for fire sprinkler requirements, mirror Georgia State Minimum Standard Codes listed on the Georgia Department of Community Affairs website:
  • Codes include Georgia amendments made by the state and amendments supersede the codes.
  • Seismic Design Category C
  • Wind speed: 115 m.p.h. Ultimate design wind speeds
  • Soil bearing capacity of minimum 1500 psf
  • Frost depth: minimum 12 inches
  • Ground snow load: 8 pounds per square foot
  • Pool and Pool Fence/Enclosure
  • Deck Guidelines

Why are building inspections necessary?

Local codes require a permit be issued when work is to be performed on a structure. The inspections that follow the issuance of the permit may uncover unsatisfactory work, faulty materials or violations of the code that could result in unsafe and hazardous conditions for you, your family, your employees or the general public.

What are permits and why do I need one?

Permits are the way the City of Rome/Floyd County regulates construction. There are several different types of permits, based on the type of construction:

  • Building Permit: New construction, additions, alterations, remodels, tenant improvements, gazebos, patio covers, decks, house moves, most retaining walls, fences over 7 feet high (for fences over 6 feet see Planning & Zoning for zoning requirements), or repairs to either residential or non-residential structures.
  • Electrical Permit: New installations, additions, extensions, alterations, changes, and fire and accident repairs of any electrical wiring and electrical equipment associated with a structure or project.
  • Plumbing Permit: New installation, removal, alteration, repair, or replacement of any plumbing, gas, or drainage piping work, or any fixture or water heater or treating equipment in a building or premise.
  • Mechanical Permit: New installations; alterations; repair; replacement; remodel; and/or removal of duct work, heating, venting, or air conditioning equipment (HVAC) and gas piping.
  • Re-roof Permit: Re-roofing requires the replacement of any dry rot or fungus damaged wood and the replacement with new minimum Class A or B, 25 year roofing, flashing and ventilation of enclosed spaces.
  • Demolition Permit: The complete demolition of an existing structure.

When don't I need a permit?

Most projects will require permits of some kind (building permits and/or other development Permits). This is necessary to ensure that all buildings meet minimum standards which protect its occupants and neighbors in everyday living and in the case of emergencies or natural disasters. Some minor projects are allowed without obtaining building permits. However, depending upon the project, other permits (development permits, encroachment permits, special activities permits, etc.) may be required. In either case, the construction of such projects should be in conformance with all applicable codes. Some of the projects which do not require a building permit are:

  • Retaining walls or planter boxes which are no more than 4' in height (measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall) and do not support another structure, fence, or take on additional loads. 
  • Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches deep. 
  • Single story residential detached buildings used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses, etc., as long as the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet and does not have plumbing or electricity.

Minor improvements typically not needing a permit:

  • Interior or exterior painting
  • Installing draperies or blinds
  • Installing carpeting or resilient floor covering
  • Building or installing movable counters, cases or partitions.
  • Building uncovered concrete patios.

How and where do I get a permit?

Permits are issued by the Rome/Floyd County Inspections Department located at 607 Broad Street Rome, Georgia. The Inspection Department is open Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. You can contact the customer service team by calling 706-236-4481. On some simple jobs, a permit can be obtained during the first visit. However, in most circumstances, more time will be needed to review the plans in detail prior to issuing any permits.

A minimum of one complete set of plans are required to obtain permits for most residential projects. Two or more sets are needed for Commercial projects or projects which require other permits. Staff at the Customer Service Center can assist you with the requirements for your specific project. In general, however, a complete set includes (but is not necessarily limited to):

  • Site Plan - showing the position of the proposed project in relation to existing buildings, property lines, right of ways, and any easements.
  • Foundation Plan - indicating the type, size and location of new foundations or footings.
  • Floor Plan - detailing the location of walls, supports, size and location of doors, windows, electrical outlets, heaters, plumbing fixtures, smoke detectors, and the square footage of the project. Again, as with the plot plan, what is existing and what is proposed to be built should be clearly noted.
  • Roof Framing - Clearly indicating the size and methods of assembly of roof rafters and ceiling joists, or truss layout. Typically, roof slope and roofing materials are called out on this plan.
  • Floor Framing - Clearly indicating the size and methods of assembly of all floor framing members. Floor joists, girders and sub floor size along with foundation connections should be shown on this plan.
  • Cross Sections - Clearly indicating ceiling heights, wall construction, and R-value of any insulation to be used.
  • Exterior Elevations - Clearly showing how the exterior of the building will look upon completion. Doors, windows, exterior material, etc. should be shown.
  • Energy Calculations - Any time conditioned (heated or cooled) space is added to a building you are required to show compliance with the 2015 International Energy Conservation Code by submitting energy calculations.
  • Structural Calculations - Structural calculations may be required if your project is of large size, unusual shape and/or more than two stories in height. These calculations allow the Building Division to verify that structural elements are adequately sized and connected. A lateral analysis is generally required on large projects to determine the capacity of the building to resist lateral motion caused by earthquakes or wind. This portion of the project must be prepared by a licensed engineer.
  • Statement of special inspections is needed for commercial plans.


Chief Building Official James Martin 706-236-4480
Asst. Building Official Mike Hebert 706-236-4488
Signs/Sr Permit Tech Jalene Franks 706-236-4481
Permit Tech Shawna Roberson 706-236-4480
Environmental Compliance Manager Brian Roberts 706-236-4480
Environmental Compliance Brady Underwood 706-236-4480
Residential Inspector Joey Norton 706-236-4484
Residential Inspector Jeff Lacey 706-236-4480
Sr Code Enforcement Glen Rubin 706-236-4482
Code Enforcement Rick Waters 706-236-4485
Code Enforcement Justin E. Smith 706-236-4480
Code Enforcement Charles Price 706-236-4480