Job: TRANSIT BUS OPERATOR PART-TIME
|Job Type||Rome Transit Department|
|Salary||$13.09 wo CDL; $13.78 with CDL/BP|
|Government||City of Rome|
Work Schedule: M-F; 5:15a-6:40p; 30-40 hrs. Varying hours/ split shifts; Non-exempt; FT w/benefitsM-F; 6:15-8:15 AM & 2:15-5:00 PM Split Shifts; Nonexempt; PT ONLY
This position is responsible for operating a diesel bus on a forty (40) foot Tripper Bus to transport students to and from school for the transit agency and to observe state and city speed limits, safety regulations and safety policies as well as providing excellent customer service to the passengers the agency serves. Performs pre and post trip of bus checklist daily. Assures all fares are collected correctly; check students ID cards. Maintains contact with supervisors and other drivers through a two-way radio. Must immediately report all emergency/unsafe conditions or behavioral concerns to dispatcher and supervisor; and request police or ambulance service as needed. Maintains an accurate passenger count. Possess the ability to work independently. Part-Time Employees are eligible for Vacation & Sick Accruals. This position is also eligible for Full Time positions as they become available.
Work Experience Requirements:
· Knowledge of relevant city and departmental rules and regulations; of the techniques of driving a passenger bus and a specialized transit vehicle; and of all safety procedures and requirements. Knowledge of all RTD bus routes.
· Knowledge of the layout of the City of Rome, including street names, major shopping center or stores, public facilities, and other points of interest to passengers.
· Skill in written and verbal communication; in record keeping; in defensive driving techniques; in the operation of two-way radio, fare box, destination signs, chairlift, flares, etc.
· Skill in performing skilled and unskilled custodian care and general maintenance tasks and in the operation of tools and equipment required to perform associated tasks related to general maintenance of buses, buildings, and grounds.
· Ability to work independently and complete daily activities according work schedule.
· Ability to lift heavy objects, walk and stand for long periods of time.
· Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions; and establish effective working relationships.
· Possess a Friendly, customer-oriented personality.
· Ability to read, write and perform math calculations at a level commonly associated with the completion of HS Diploma or GED equivalent.
· Must be at least 21 years of age with an excellent driving record.
· Must possess or have the ability to readily obtain and maintain a valid Class B CDL with a Passenger Endorsement (CDL/BP).
· Fluent in English. Knowledge of Spanish helpful, but not required.
· Willing to work shifts varying from day to evening; commuter runs may require working split shifts.
· Complete the required Passenger Service Safety Certification Class during twelve (12) month probationary period and obtain recertification every three (3) years.
· Must obtain National Incident Management Systems (NIMS) 100 and 700 within three (3) months of employment.