Job: TRANSIT HEAVY EQUIPMENT MECHANIC
|Job Type||Rome Transit Department|
|Government||City of Rome|
This position is responsible for analyzing mechanical problems and performing repairs, maintenance, body work, and painting of mainline, tripper, paratransit, and all other department vehicles. This position is also responsible for checking all buses daily for sound and safe mechanical operations, for changing run cards, and for removing cash vaults from fare boxes.
· Must possess a high school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent followed by vocational training complemented by two years’ experience in a heavy equipment shop or more than three (3) to five (5) years of experience. ASE certifications helpful.
· Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia Driver’s license and have the ability to obtain a Class B CDL with Passenger Endorsements within six (6) months of being hired.
· Must be familiar with all aspects of heavy equipment operation and must understand the functions of the major components and systems.
· Must be competent at using service and maintenance tools and equipment, and be familiar with different lubricants and service parts specifically made for different makes of heavy equipment.
· Must be able to read and comprehend documents and instruction manuals and have good analytical skills to diagnose problems and make decisions about the most suitable repairs.
· Must be able to perform paint and body work on vehicles.
· Must have good interpersonal skills to discuss vehicle problems and solutions with equipment operators or drivers.
· Must be self-motivated, energetic and results oriented.
· Must be able to perform all duties in a safe and efficient manner.
· Willingness to continually learn and enhance skill sets.
· Must obtain National Incident Management Systems (NIMS) 100 and 700 within three (3) months of employment.