Job: Veterinary Assistant
|Job Type||Public Animal Welfare Services (P.A.W.S.)|
|Salary||$9.82 - $10.31|
JOB SUMMARY: Provides routine post-operative care, administer medication orally or topically, or prepare samples for laboratory examination under the supervision of veterinary or laboratory animal technologists or technicians, veterinarians, or scientists.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: • Holds or restrains animals during veterinary procedures.
• Cleans and maintains kennels, animal holding areas, examination or operating rooms, or animal loading or unloading facilities to control the spread of disease.
• Fills medication prescriptions.
• Assists veterinarians in examining animals to determine the nature of illnesses or injuries.
• Monitors animals recovering from surgery and notify veterinarians of any unusual changes or symptoms.
• Cleans, maintains, and sterilizes instruments or equipment.
• Examines animals to detect behavioral changes or clinical symptoms that could indicate illness or injury.
• Administer medication, immunizations, or blood plasma to animals as prescribed by veterinarians.
• Collects laboratory specimens, such as blood, urine, or feces, for testing.
• Prepares surgical equipment and pass instruments or materials to veterinarians during surgical procedures.
• Prepares feed for animals according to specific instructions, such as diet lists or schedules.
• Provides emergency first aid to sick or injured animals.
• Performs routine laboratory tests or diagnostic tests, such as taking or developing x-rays.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High School Diploma or G.E.D
Preferred: Six (6) months or more working with animals in an animal shelter or working with animals at a facility where the care and treatment of animals was a primary function of that organization.
BENEFITS: Health/Major Medical, Retirement, Paid Sick,
Dental, Paid Holidays, Incentive Pay, Longevity Pay,
Long Term Disability, Paid Vacation-Annually & Wellness